Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I hope this is sufficient.

Apparently my original baby post was not satisfactory so I will try again...

Thursday night my lower back started hurting insanely bad. Now, for me this is pretty normal. However, the pain never let up and stayed all night long. I couldn't lay or sit down so I pretty much just walked around my house all night long. Little did I know that lower back pain is a sign of labor. Friday came and contractions started getting closer and stronger. I didn't want to go to the hospital and get sent home so I waited... I kept texting Zach trying to hint that I wanted him to come home. I guess "When are you coming home?" and "I can't time my own contractions." didn't really tell him I was in labor so he stayed at work. I also didn't want him to come home for nothing so I waited it out alone. By about 4 I wanted to be at the hospital in the twinkle of any eye. Zach usually leaves work at 4 but that day he was at a conference until 5 and I was too chicken to tell him to get his rear end home so I just sat on my bed crying. At 4:58 I couldn't take it anymore and I called him and left a message. He called me right back as he was running to his car to head home. About 15 minutes later I hear tires screeching and Zach runs through the door seconds later. He got out his phone to time my contractions and I wanted to hurt him. I didn't care how long they were or how far apart we were going to the hospital. After I threw up a ton we headed out the door and off the hospital. I would just like to take a minute and thank Provo city for making University Avenue so darn bumpy. Bumpy road + contractions = awesome! We got to the hospital and I had to make it up to the 5th floor and back to my room. I had lots of people staring at me. It is not like I looked that terrible but when a 9 month pregnant woman is walking through the hospital with her husband holding onto her and she is holding her stomach you are bound to get some stares.

More throwing up happened and then I got settled into a bed. When they finally got around to checking me I was 4 cm and going fast because I couple hours later I was 8 cm. Somewhere in between 4 and 8 I got and epidural. I was still throwing up and shaking like and idiot but I was feeling a lot better. I was put on oxygen because his heart rate kept going down. (At some point My mom, Dallin, Paige, and Jason showed up, Jenny made it just in time for me to push and Peter got there when I was done. Side note: they boys left for the exciting part) The anesthesiologist told the nurse to turn on the drug pump in a half hour but one of my nurses got stuck in a delivery so that never happened. So at about 9 cm I started feeling the pain again. I know people deliver without an epidural but I don't understand them. If I had to do it with no drugs I would because he is worth it but I don't have to do that so make me comfortable. Anyway... the pain was back. I got more drugs and was checked...10 cm and time to push. I think it was only 15 - 20 minutes and he was here! I am a very good pusher!

I was so out of it after I was done. I kind of felt like I was in a different world than everyone else. Everyone around me was happy and excited and talking and I just felt weird. They kept trying to sit me up so I could hold him but my blood pressure kept dropping to around 58/30 so I had to lay down. I tried to hold him but I only lasted about 30 seconds and then I started shaking and had no strength so Zach had to take him. They kept asking me if I had heart problems and didn't believe me that I didn't so they hooked me up to an EKG machine. After a couple hours of that and trying to get my blood pressure to regulate I got to go down to the mother and baby floor.

I hope this is good enough for you. I know there are many typos and cases of incorrect grammar but it will have to due.

P.S. All of these facts could be completely wrong due to drugs.

Loves

3 comments:

PaigeE said...

You are a good pusher! Ah Cait (that's a cool way to spell it), that was a good night. Sad and scary, but good. The babe is lookin' fat these days :)

Mary said...

Wow, what a story! I threw up and got the shakes too, both times. I thought there was something wrong with me but apparently it's normal. I'm glad your little one is here safely.

Emily said...

Wow! What a story! Sorry you were in so much pain when Zach was gone! Sorry the drugs weren't working the whole time! Being a great pusher is an awesome talent! Sorry you were feeling so terrible after! We are glad Paxton made it here safe and sound! Love you!